In 2000, Dr. Bahman Guyuron first published his observation that the cosmetic surgery known as a “brow-lift” also appeared to improve or eliminate chronic headache problems in a large majority of his patients who had experienced head pain before surgery. Interestingly, these were not patients having surgery for headaches. These were patients having brow-lifts to eliminate forehead wrinkles. Elimination of their head pain was an unexpected bonus and a new discovery.
While treating wrinkles through botox injections physicians have noticed a surprising extra benefit: some patients whose brows were injected for wrinkles noted that their headaches disappeared! Based on these findings, further research has been done [Link to Research] which has led to our current treatment methods.
Some migraine headaches may be triggered by a simple mechanical problem, the compression of a nerve in the brow or posterior scalp. In its simplest terms, decompressing these nerve branches through botox and nerve blocks is similar to loosening a tie that is too tight. The procedures paralyze muscles that were once irritating.
Published research articles on surgical treatment of migraines
- Botulinum Toxin and Migraine Surgery [PDF]
- Corrugator Supercilii Muscle Resection and Migraine Headaches [PDF
- Posttraumatic Headache: Surgical Management of Supraorbital Neuralgia [PDF]
- The Lesser and Third Occipital Nerves and Migraine Headaches [PDF]
- Surgical Treatment of Migraine Headaches [PDF]
- The Anatomy of the Greater Occipital Nerve: Implications for the Etiology of Migraine Headaches [PDF]
- A Placebo-Controlled Surgical Trial of the Treatment of Migraine Headaches [PDF]
- Confirmation of Surgical Decompression to Relieve Migraine Headaches [PDF]
- Five Year Outcome of Surgical Treatment of Migraine Headache [PDF]
- Surgical Treatment of Migraine Headaches by Corrugator Muscle Resection [PDF]
- Discussion of Botulinum Toxin A and Migraine Surgery [PDF]
The content/images on this website are not a guarantee of individual results. Individual results may vary. The information provided on this site is for general informational purposes only, and does not replace the need for a formal consultation with a physician before undergoing a procedure or skin care treatment.